Matt and I have been in training the past four months for our first half-marathon together. We have done two full marathons and decided to scale back and do a half-marathon. It was a difficult training with knee problems, long Friday nights (KU basketball, Spring fever, etc. ), however... we made it through training to race day. April 14, 2012.
The night before was spent with John and Colleen and Kyle and Sarah (also running the race) at Bravo! carb-loading before race day. Matt and I figured we needed some extra sugar and had a crazy Friday night at the local TCBY. We were in bed by ten and ready to run.
We met up with my friends Jessica Lyles and Lindsey Moore in the morning. Lyles, Matt, and I decided to start with the 1:50 pace group because it was just way too much of a hassle to even try and wade through the people.
| Lyles and I |
Matt and I - here we are pre-race.Feel free to make fun of Matt's hair/headband. I do. It's true love. Ha!
The day was over-cast with perfect temps, a bit humid.. but ideal running weather if you ask me. The race had ups and downs, like any race. However, I felt strong from the start and was ready! We had some comical sightings... a couple that was "Running to the alter" on the back of their shirts, Matt and I don't know if anyone else caught the spelling error, a sign that read "If Newt can run, so can you", and a couple couples fighting during the race. (Trust me, it happens.. of course I never instigate.. it's always Matt with his cranky pants on hehe)
Anyways, we ended the race.. with a personal record of 2:03:47... I beat Matt by .5 of a second. My dad texted me in the morning to "finish strong". I'm assuming beating Matt is what he meant ;). We couldn't be more proud of our time, and Matt is now figuring out how to train next to get under 2:00. God help me.
| Matt and I |
| Me, Lindsey, Lyles |
All in all, I'm super proud of all my family and friends that did the race. It's not an easy task, people might think we are crazy, but I love it.
It's a love/hate relationship, but this time love won out. Next time... who knows!
Congrats!
ReplyDeleteCan't tell where Matt's hair ends and the tree begins. But I would love to know your play list. Might motivate me.
ReplyDelete